While Memorial Day weekend has become synonymous with the start of summer, I want to take a moment to reflect on the reason why we have Memorial Day and remember all those who have fallen while serving our country. They are the reason we are able to enjoy our freedoms. So, whether you’re barbequing, braving what will most likely be freezing cold swimming pools, or going to one of the events listed below, I hope you will remember those who have served and made the greatest sacrifice for us.
- Friday Night Live - Town Green, Herndon, VA, 6:30pm – 10pm. A FREE outdoor concert featuring Royals, an American pop band that plays electrifying, modern, top chart hits.
- TCC Summerfest: Outdoor Family Movie Nights - The Plaza at Tysons Corner Center, Tysons, VA, Start time 7pm. This week features a FREE screening of Encanto.
- Escaping Detection: Women in the Civil War – Pohick Regional Library, Burke, VA 3pm – 4pm. Mary Lipsey from the Burke Historical Society will discuss notable women who participated actively but secretly in the American Civil War, as spies and as soldiers. FREE
- Concert in the Park – Middleburg Community Center, Middleburg, VA, 6pm – 8pm. Enjoy live music by The Crooked Angels. Food truck will be on site as well as local beer, wine, and adult beverages available for purchase. Entry is FREE and open to the public.
- Color School Kickoffs Summer with Live Music - Del Ray Artisans (in the front garden), Alexandria, VA, 3pm -5pm. Come on over to Del Ray Artisans and check out the local live music. DC-area superstar artist, student of the Color School, and exhibit juror Barbara Januszkiewicz will be dropping by to meet and greet artists, patrons, and Color School band fans alike.
- Alexandria Underground Railroad Tour – Old Town Alexandria, 10am – 11:30am. A tour with of Old Town Alexandria, focused on the Alexandria Underground Railroad. Tickets $15 and can be purchased in advance
- Sunday Funday Concert Featuring Carleigh Jane - Harris Pavilion, Manassas, VA, 3pm – 4:30pm. A FREE outdoor concert.
- National Memorial Day Observance – Arlington National Cemetery, Start time 11:15am. The U.S. Army Military District of Washington will conduct a Presidential Armed Forces Full Honor Wreath-Laying Ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- 40th Annual Parade and Festival - City Hall and Community Center Grounds, City of Falls Church, VA, 9am – 5pm. A full day of fun, starting with a fun run at 9am. There will be live music, food and craft vendors, kid’s entertainment, and more. The parade will start at 2pm.
- Memorial Day Concert by the Quantico Marine Corps Band - National Museum of the Marine Corps, Triangle, VA 3pm – 4pm. Join us on Memorial Day for an inspirational and patriotic concert by the Quantico Marine Corps Band. Visitors are encouraged to bring a blanket or camp chair. Event will be cancelled if it rains.
Saturday 5/28 through Monday 5/30
- Viva! Vienna – Vienna, VA, see website for hours. Celebrate the town of Vienna during this 3 day festival featuring live music, carnival rides, games, vendors, food and more. Entry is free but tickets are required for rides and entertainment.
- Strawberry Jubilee Festival – Great Country Farms, Bluemont, VA, 10am – 5pm. Enjoy live music, farm contests, wagon rides, great food and fun games, and more. See website for ticket prices.